Self help packets

Recent Posts

Can I apply my own? What green card application options does a postdoc have? USCIS delays rule changing list of documents acceptable to verify employment eligibility

Yearly Archives

Applying for a Green Card while a phd student

Published Feb 11,2018 By samir bhattarai


I am currently a PHD student in US  in F-1 status from Nepal and I am currently in my 4th year of my PHD. I am looking into the possibility of filing for NIW EB-2. Here is my background, I completed my undergraduate from US in physics and minor in mathematics, then I joined PHD in theoretical physics.


Here is some summary of my work:
As a Undergraduate, I have 4 conference paper, 3 book chapters and 1 published paper as a co-author. I presented at 10 conferences during this time.

As a PHD student, I have 7 papers, 5 as a co-author, 1 as a equally contributing author and 1 as a conference paper. One of my paper was underscored as the paper of the week by the publishing journal.  I have a total citation of 24 with 10 independent citations. I am currently working on 2 first author paper which will be completed by the end of the year. I have reviewed two journal paper. I have helped my advisor write grant proposal and also have taught undergraduate class on his behalf.  For two summers, I have worked as a intern researcher outside US (one in China and the other one in Japan)

My main concern is I don’t have a first author paper yet. I will have 2 first author paper in about a year and I wanted to seek your advice on if it is a better idea for me to wait about a year and file. My recent co-authored has been receiving some attention and I believe I will have about 30-40 more independent citation by the end of the year.

Thank you for the help and looking forward for your advise.

Posted in niw
Notify of
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Tigran Kalaydzhyan
Tigran Kalaydzhyan
6 years ago

Hi Samir,

If you did the undergraduate studies in the U.S., I will assume that you have a Bachelor’s degree. Even though it is possible to obtain EB2-NIW in this case, the chances are slim and I would encourage you to obtain PhD degree first, especially if you plan to do it yourself, without hiring a lawyer. You seem to be able to obtain necessary credentials by then. In addition, please have in mind that your work should be shown as being of a substantial intrinsic merit, please see the link below. If you do theoretical physics, it might be a little nontrivial, however, it should be doable. You can have a look at the prospects of some of the government agencies that do similar research. For example, if your field is related to high-energy or nuclear physics, you can read brochures of the Department of Energy, explaining the intrinsic merit of your research. Please feel free to ask further questions in this thread.

Self help packets

Recent Posts

Approved NIW I-140

Recent Posts

I-140 and J1 home residency rule

Recent Posts

Public Policy researcher

Recent Posts

Approved I-140