Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Applying for a Green Card as a student


I am a PhD student in mechanical engineering at Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas and intend to graduate in May 2016. Could I go ahead and apply for my green card now.


Generally most people apply after they graduate from their PhD. However applicants who have a strong case can apply before graduation. If you think you have a strong case you can do that as well. However you need to be aware while applying on a f1 visa there are some constraints, namely you may find it hard to renew your f1 visa during the time the application is being processed. If you think this restriction is not a problem for you and you think you can meet all the necessary USCIS criteria then you should be able to apply at any time. Please send us your complete cv so that we can evaluate it. Before you make your Cv we suggest you look at some of the example success cases listed on our website and read through USCIS requirements so that you can make a necessary CV.
Best wishes

    Thank you for your prompt reply. I would like to know whether we have to purchase the application packet in order to access the example success cases/petitions. I was not able to locate them on your website. Your help is highly appreciated.


You can see the see background of success cases at
If you would like to see a complete example petition you would need to purchase it from this link



Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

2 Responses to Applying for a Green Card as a student

  • Sat says:

    I am a Research Scientist in a government organisation from India, I have done my B.V.Sc, M.V.Sc and Ph.D from India, currently doing my Visiting Post-Doc Fellowship from The University of Adelaide ,Australia. I have four first author publications in international reputed journals. Am I eligible to apply for Permanent Residency? Is it too expensive?


    • GCforPhD says:


      We suggest you look at information on our eb1a ,niw web pages and the free ebook.

      It may be possible depending on various other criteria that you satisfy, you can build a successful application. You can find the cost of application on the uscis site. At the minimum you would need the I-140, bio-metrics and I-485. If you need green card for family members (spouse and children) then they would also need biometrics and I-485.

      Best wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *