Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Green Card International Student


I’m an international student studying in Australia. I have received a scholarship to continue my undergraduate studies in Psychology, Criminology, and Justice in the US. I will, therefore, transfer to the US this fall. I’m hoping to stay on and continue with Masters and Ph.D. in Forensic Psychology. My ultimate goal is to become a Forensic Psychologist in the states. My question is, is this possible? Will pursuing a Ph.D. in the states in the field of Forensic Psychology help me obtain licensure and green card in order to stay on and practice? If so, what is the green card procedure?

Thank you.

One Response to Green Card International Student

  • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

    Hi Karen,

    Having PhD does not guarantee the green card. There are several categories of the employed-based green card (see the link below). Some of them require the sponsorship of your employer (such as EB1B, EB3A, etc) and some don’t (EB1A, EB2-NIW). Our site is focused on the latter, i.e., the self-sponsored green cards. Please familiarize yourself with the criteria EB1A and EB2-NIW from our site and the free e-book and feel free to ask further questions in this thread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *