Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Phd degree and Green Card


I am on H1 B with I 140 approved.
My H1 B extensions are based on 1 140 approval.
My wife is on H4 and she is a Phd graduate with Microbiology. My priority date is 2006 (EB3). I haven’t applied for 485.
Can my wife apply for GC with her PHD degree?
I appreciate your help.
Please see the FAQ at and the free ebook at for detailed explanation for your question.

In short the answer is yes. That said Phd is neither a requirement nor guarantee to get a greencard in niw or eb1a categories. But most of the time, the work performed during a phd help as evidence in one of these categories. So one can self-petition without a sponsor. Best is to review uscis criteria and some example petitions at

Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *