Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Professor on a J1

If I am a professor working on a J1 and decide to self petitpon to a Green Card, what happens to my current visa? Can I continue working? What if they want to extend my J1 after I’ve applied for the Green Card?

One Response to Professor on a J1

  • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

    If you file only I-140, then you still have the J-1 and can continue working. You may not be able to extend J-1 later though. If you file I-485 together with I-140, then your J-1 will not be extended and you cannot reenter the U.S. on current J-1.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *