Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.



I have a PhD in chemical engineering and I worked as a postdoc in a national lab for 2 years. I had to move to a different city and currently I am looking for a job. Can I start the green crad processing now or do I need to have an employment to start the self petition process? 

I have 11 publications out of which I am a first author for 3 publications and for the rest, I am second and third author. I have 3 more publications which are in review process( 1 first author and 2 third author). I havve 108 citations and I reviewed 2 publications. Is it possible for me to apply in EB1A category or do I need to apply in EB2 NIW category. 

Kindly suggest me.


Thank You


2 Responses to NIW or EB1A

  • Max says:

    I think the number of (independent) citation matters more than the number of publications. I think EB1A would require >100 citations (on average).

  • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

    You do not need employment to begin the petition process. There are many factors that play a role in the strength of the EB1A case, you can get more familiar with them from our free e-book and do-it-yourself packets. You can try either or both of categories. I know a plenty of successful EB1A cases with credentials similar to yours, so you should definitely consider it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *