F1 OPT with PhD in math working for a postdoc in a different department
I’m currently a PhD student in Math and I’m on F1 status. I’ve received a postdoc offer at another university and I’m planning to request an F1 OPT.
My problem is, the OPT requires my job to be ‘directly related’ to my major field of study. My major as listed in the I-20 is ‘Mathematics, General’, but my postdoc position will be in a group in a department of Chemical Engineering.
My specific duties are all related to my dissertation (deriving mathematical models, building computational algorithms). The problem is that the department name (Chemical Engineering) does not seem very related to my major as Mathematics.
Is it safe to work as a postdoc in the new department with F1 OPT?
Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate your help.
3 Responses to F1 OPT with PhD in math working for a postdoc in a different department
- Applying for a Green Card as a student
- J1 visa and EB1a application
- Visa Bulletin for June 2014
- Nepali Citizen planning to apply for a Green Card
- J1 Visa and NIW
- Phd for green card
- I-140 NIW approved. Do i need to apply for an EAD?
- EB1 EA for an entrepreneur with a PhD
- Traveling to Saint Thomas on pending Green Card without AP.
- What is the criteria for EB1?