Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Suitable category for a PhD from abroad.


Dear Sir or Madam,

I am in the process of making a self petition for a green card here in the US and come across your materials, which I find very helpful and useful. However, I encounter a few burning questions which I am confident you are in a good position to help out with some answers. 
1. I have a PhD from a British University – graduated in 2008
2. Published high impact academic journals
3. Worked in high profile jobs (but not in the US)
4. Have a construction company in the UK
My immediate interest is to understand the following:
1. Is E21 NIW the same with EB1A?
2. Which category do you consider more appropriate for my situation? E21 NIW or E11?
3. What documents do I require for the petition?
4. Does the application the US have higher possibility of success than outside the contry?
In case you have a minute and require a word with me (which will be highly appreciated), I am reachable on xxxxxx
Your questions are answered below 
1. E21 NIW is a separate category from EB1a. Both of these are the self-petition categories. 
2. Please send us a complete resume, we would be able to help you better. 
3. Please see the following links for EB1a and NIW. They describe what USCIS is looking for.
4. Generally not. USCIS does not distinguish the two types of applications. 
Feel free to email us and we will answer any questions.  
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

2 Responses to Suitable category for a PhD from abroad.

  • Oyelowo Oyetayo J. says:

    Dear Sir/Ma,
    I am a PhD holder of 2014 from Nigeria with interest in getting green card in US. Can I send my CV for your candid advice.
    Thank you.

    • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

      Hi Oyelowo,

      Yes, you can send your CV to the email address: greencardforphd (
      Please allow for some time to reply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *