Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Foreign PHD – Green card visa process


I’m enquiring on behalf of my wife, who is an PHD graduate from India, residing in UK without work experience for last 5 years after graduation.

Kindly advise whether she is still eligible to apply green card, what will be the best route for her to apply.

Thank you



5 Responses to Foreign PHD – Green card visa process

  • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

    Hi Arun,

    I assume your question is related to the EB1A and EB2-NIW categories (which are the specifics of this forum), not the family-based immigration. If she was born in India, then EB1A is, practically, the only option for her. The problem is that even if I-140 is approved, she will not be eligible for the green card for the next several years. As an example, only those Indian nationals can now apply for the green card, who filed I-140 before 04/22/2009, see the link below

    Now, regarding the EB1A, one has to prove the sustained international acclaim and that the achievements have been recognized in the field of expertise, meaning other people in the field actively used results of research of your wife. If she published important papers during her PhD and people are actively using them and/or citing her papers during the past few years, then she can overcome the 5 years gap in her employment. The rest depends on whether or not she can satisfy the USCIS criteria, see the link below

  • Feras says:

    I read in I-140 application in petition Type: An outstanding professor or researcher. the word professor means if i have enough experience in academic teaching in the universities? or something else?

  • Ishita says:

    I have a phD Degree in Environmental Science from India (2015 Nov) with peer reviewed Journal papers published and presented in International Conferences in the USA.
    My husband holds a HIB visa with I-140 approved which provides me with a H4 EAD in the USA , Can i pursue post Doc with this visa in US?
    Can i apply for Green card independently with my qualifications in US ? what is the procedure?
    Please advice.

    • Tigran Kalaydzhyan says:

      Yes, you can do a postdoc with EAD.
      You can apply for the permanent residence through self-petition at any time, if you meet the USCIS criteria for EB1A or NIW (please see the information on this website).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *