Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Green card procedure for J1 visa


I am currently on a J1 Visa and would like to apply for a Green card. I heard the procedure is different for J1 holder. Can you tell me what is the procedure for green card application?



One Response to Green card procedure for J1 visa

  • GCforPhD says:


    Most countries have a two-year home residency requirement. If your country has one, you would need to obtain a waiver by filling out form DS-3035. Before this you would need to get a no-objection certificate from your home country. You can find instructions on obtaining a waiver from the following USCIS web site.

    Rest of the green card application is the same. You would first apply i-140, permanent residency petition. Depending on priority dates for your nationality you can either concurrently or separately apply for I-485 (change of status). You can read more about the procedure at this link.

    Best wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *