Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Applying NIW from outside of the USA

Question and answers:

Please see below for answers


I have questions about filling I-140 for NIW visa. I am applying from outside of the USA.
1- Do i have to fill Part 6?
Yes you still have to fill part 6. You have to mention what job do you intend to perform once you are granted a green card.
2- Do i have to fill Part5 3.a and 3.b?
Part5 3.a would be necessary and if you  do not have the employment yet, you can skip part 3.b
3- I have 3 conference publications in my minor field (which i believe is of interest to some research areas in the USA) however, i can explain the importance of my minor field – do you recommend me not to apply until i get more papers?
It is also important so show evidence as to how your work is important to the US. In particular you would need to show evidence for the following
Evidence of the benefits that the proposed employment will be national in scope.
Evidence of employment in an area of substantial intrinsic merit and important to the national interests of the United States.
Evidence demonstrating that the significant benefit derived from the applicant’s participation in the national interest field of endeavor considerably outweighs the inherent national interest in protecting U.S. workers through the labor certification process.
best of luck
Thank you for your answers, about part 6, do i have to propose any suitable job (such as postdoc or fellowship) and give address of an employer even i am not sure that this employer will heir me?
Last question, can i send me application with your assistance? and if not, do you recommend to me a lawyer?
Would you please provide me with an example (detailed papers, recommendation letters, … etc) of a successful case similar to me.
Yes you have to propose a job. If you know your employer, you can state it with evidence included. Since you do not know, you can state “to be determined”

Usually our help is limited. If you purchase our do-it-yourself packet, we answer your questions via email. You can find our example packet for a cost at the following website
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *