Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.


J2 EAD renewal while I140 pending


I am a Biomedical Engineer, doing a Postdoc in Los Angeles with a J1 visa (no two year home country residence requirement, since I am not paid with government funding, and my home country is not on the skill list). My visa and DS2019 were initially: March 2016-March 2018, same dates are present in my husband’s EAD, since, as a J2, he is actually using it for working. I have recently got a DS2019 extension from my sponsor, up to 2020, but my husband can ask for EAD renewal just 6 months before the expiration of the actual one,… Continue reading

Indian national on J visa and self-petition


Hello Green Card for Phd,

                                     I have checked your website so many times for the green card appication and information. I am contacting you because we want to file the green card application based on my wife’s qualification. She has done PhD from Ohio State University and currently she is doing a postdoc at Stanford University. She has 68 independent citations for 5 publications. We are Indian nationals. She is currently on OPT and Stanford will ask her to extend the… Continue reading

Can my wife (J2 holder) get Green card if I get a Green card while on J1?


I am a postdoc in US with J1 visa without 2 years residency requirement. My wife is in J2 and also without residency requirement. My question is if I am able to get my Green card through EB1A, can she also get a green card as well?

Additionally, when I am applying for EB1A, will I be in J1 status and my wife is in J2?


The usual procedure is that the primary applicant (you) applies for I-140 and the derivative (your wife and children) and primary apply for I-485. Both of you would get green cards after… Continue reading