Self help packets

Recent Posts

Can I apply my own? What green card application options does a postdoc have? USCIS delays rule changing list of documents acceptable to verify employment eligibility

Yearly Archives

J1 and Green card application

Published Apr 10,2011 By GCforPhD


J1 status holder can apply for EB1 and/or NIW? Please can you give me deatil information about.


Yes you can self-petition your i-140 in EB1A or EB2 NIW. You can find more information in the free ebook

However, before you apply for change of status (i-485), you should have obtained a wavier or have satisfied your home country requirements related to J1 visa.

Best of luck

Posted in FAQ
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
13 years ago


I have BS in chemistry. I received my MS in chemistry from USA and my PhD in chemistry from south Korea. I have published 10 scientific papers.

Would you please help me to know if I can apply for green card?

Should I come to USA for a post doc and then apply or I can apply it while I am in south Korea?

Please give me your advice.


12 years ago
Reply to  Kim

There are two self-petition categories where petitioners of any nationality can self-petition for a GC provided they satisfy the criteria set by uscis. The two categories are EB1a and Eb2-niw. You can review the criteria for these categories to see if you are eligible. A petitioner need not be residing in the US during the application.

Also looking at some example petition packets may be helpful to see how you can prepare a self-petition.

Best of luck

Self help packets

Recent Posts

Approved NIW I-140

Recent Posts

I-140 and J1 home residency rule

Recent Posts

Public Policy researcher

Recent Posts

Approved I-140