F1 OPT with PhD in math working for a postdoc in a different department
I’m currently a PhD student in Math and I’m on F1 status. I’ve received a postdoc offer at another university and I’m planning to request an F1 OPT.
My problem is, the OPT requires my job to be ‘directly related’ to my major field of study. My major as listed in the I-20 is ‘Mathematics, General’, but my postdoc position will be in a group in a department of Chemical Engineering.
My specific duties are all related to my dissertation (deriving mathematical models, building computational algorithms). The problem is that the department name (Chemical Engineering) does not seem very related to my major as Mathematics.
Is it safe to work as a postdoc in the new department with F1 OPT?
Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate your help.
3 Responses to F1 OPT with PhD in math working for a postdoc in a different department
- What is photocopy certification? do I need one?
- Assistant Professor interested in green card application
- Interested in buying diy kit
- PhD in Physics from US, can I apply for a green card from abroad?
- eligible phd's for green card
- Is EB1a right for me?
- Regarding GC to be filed under PHD Educational Qualification
- Which processing center should I apply for fast processing of I-140?
- Eligibility for EB1-a