Maintaining F1 status while I 485 is pending
It would help me a lot if you could clear a confusion of mine.
I am in the process of obtaining a EB1-A visa. My I 140 has been approved and will apply for I 485. I am currently in F1-OPT status which will expire in March, 2017. I need to file my OPT in Texas center which usually takes 10 months and that means that I will know the approval/rejection decision around February, 2017.
I am trying to protect my F1-OPT status since in that way in case my I 485 gets denied, I will have some time to find a job and stay in US. I understand that as long as I use the OPT EAD card instead of the AOS EAD card for my employment, I am still considered to be in F1-OPT status. Could anyone clarify the same issue with Advanced Parole? If I use Advanced Parole to go to my home country and return in 2016, am I still considered to be in F1-OPT status or my F1 status is cancelled?
Thank you in advance for helping me with this.
5 Responses to Maintaining F1 status while I 485 is pending
- PHD student
- F1 trying to self-petition
- Where should I send the EB-1 application package
- Question on second GC petition
- Russian Green card applicant
- Field of study and Phd
- Self-petitioning while on F1 visa
- Can I apply from outside the US
- Can I apply in EB2-NIW with my credentials?
- Packet for EB2-NIW Entrepreneurs