Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Which visa do I need to work in the USA?


Hello Sir,

I did my PhD in Computer Science (Machine Learning) at university in cape town, south africa and right now working as a postdoctoral researcher in bioinformatics research institute in cape town. So, what kind of visa do i need to apply to get a job in USA in industry? 

Do i need to apply for H1b in April 2016? or do i need to apply any other visa 
Usually the companies that provide you with a job also do the visa sponsorship. You would usually need a h1b to work for private companies. Non profits or universities can choose between h1b our j1 (we suggest applicants to prefer a h1b).  There are also other visa categories such as O which are rarely used by companies. 
Other alternative is to apply for a green card on your own, if you have the right credentials. Green card can be applied from any where. There are several details to understand and significant time needs to be invested if you want to go this route. You can read more on our website.
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *