OPT, H1B and Green Card
Dear GCforPhD team,
I was very happy to see your website. The information there is very important for people like me to get started. I have a specific question related to my situation. Hopefully you guys have an answer for me.
A brief intro to my background, and some questions during that process.
– I graduated with my PhD from University of ——– in 2012 December. Afterwards I was with the same advisor for another five months (with OPT) until I landed on a job. Now I am a postdoctoral research fellow with ———– University working for the xxxxxx experiment at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider at Brookhaven National Laboratory (I am stationed here at BNL). I do hold the authorship for all publications from xxxxxx experiment and I believe I can claim authorship to those papers during my I-140 petition. Am I correct here? I am currently the controls system expert for the entire detector system.
Here is my main question. I am still on OPT (OPT extension) and it will expire next year May. My employer could produce the H1-B for me if needed. Since I wanted to do some adjunct teaching, I thought its best for me to be on OPT until next year or so. However after reading your website, I decided to start the GC procedure. So, do you think that I should obtain H1-B before sending my I-140? Can I apply for GC when I am on OPT?
I’d greatly appreciate your input.
When you say GC is been processed, could that be only the time for I-140 processing or does that time include adjustment of status too? (I.e. I-485 filing)
Thanks, and I will keep in touch for future advice.
That would be till I485 is approved.
- Publications and green card self-petition
- Indian National applying for a EB2-NIW?
- h4 I-485
- Can I apply from outside the US
- PhD in vision computing seeking to apply green card
- Undecided whether EB1 or EB2-NIW
- Strength of my EB1a/NIW case. Currently on H4 visa.
- NIW Package
- Procedure to apply under NIW and EB1A
- Follow up question on OPT and H1B green card