Applying for greencard while on OPT
I have a question. I think I read a similar question from someone else also. But I had a difference in my degree and certain other things.
I completed my PhD and I am on OPT. I want to know if I can apply for green card while on OPT, or should I go for H1 and then for OPT. Just to let you know my F1 (student visa) already expired. PLs let me know.
Thanks a lot.
Just a clarification. OPT is part of F1 status. Your F1 visa stamp may have expired but your F1 status is active since your I-20 would still be current.
Coming back to your main question, you can apply for green card while on F1 but it may not be possible to renew your F1 status (i.e. extend your OPT if needed). This is because F1 is granted on the basis that there is no intent to immigrate. So if you do not need F1/OPT renewal you can choose to apply while on F1.
Hope this answers your question.
Best of luckSincerely
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages
9 Responses to Applying for greencard while on OPT
- eligible phd's for green card
- Applying for green card while on OPT
- Should I apply in EB1A or EB2NIW?
- MD, with MS fom USA and PhD student
- I-140 application while on AOS
- Self petition and medical Phd student
- adjustment of status and I-765
- I am a PhD in H4 status and would like to apply in EB1A
- Am I qualify for EB1 or NIW?
- J1 and Green card application