Blog for Postdocs / Phds, National Interest Waiver, Extraordinary Ability

Disclaimer: The contents in this web site are only for your information and are not intended to be legal advice. While many of our applicants successfully obtain their I-140 approvals, the information here should not be considered as a guarantee of your green card application outcome.

Self petition and medical Phd student

I am interested in applying for Green Card. I graduated from university of Athens, school of medicine. I did my PhD at the same institution (degree expected in early 2012), I have 6 publications and 3 under review, 60 presentations in national and international meetings, currently working in the USA (Boston, MA) on H1b visa, I also received 6 first awards in Greece and I have 2 scholarships.

What do you think my chances are?

Your resume looks strong. A well prepared petition will have a good chance. The right category (EB1a or NIW) depends on your research/work area and your overall evidence.

Can you guide me through the process?

The green card for PhDs website has a self-petition packet that has example petitions. Several people have successfully used these to build their petitions. We help by answering questions which petitioners have.

How long it will take in case it is approved?

GC has two main applications, i-140 and i-485. Generally the first one is quicker. You can find the overall time it takes in the USCIS processing schedules website. This depends on the category you apply to and the country of your origin.

Detailed answers to your questions and most commonly asked questions can be found in pdf format at the link.

Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages

2 Responses to Self petition and medical Phd student

  • Minh Nguyen says:

    Hi, I’m an international student doing phD at Upenn. According to your information, I can apply for green card after I graduate. I’m wondering that if I receive a green card, whether my wife will get a green card too. She’s now legally living in the U.S with me under F-2 visa.
    I’m looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance

    • admin says:


      When you apply for the green card, you will the primary applicant and your wife (and children) will be a derivative applicant. Meaning she will be a beneficiary. You will apply for both i-140 and i-485. She will apply for i-485 along with you to get her green card.

      Best of luck
      GC for Phd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *