Joining PhD and Green card question
I am currently pursuing master in computer science and I will be graduating in December. I have few questions regarding green card which I can apply after PhD degree.
Question 1 . Is there any green card criteria that I have to do PhD from any specific university or can I do PhD from any university?
Question 2. When can I apply for green card? Do I need to apply after I complete my PhD degree or can I apply while I am doing my PhD degree?
I would appreciate any of your help
We suggest you read the following related post for more details. Your questions are answered below.
- No. You can have PhD from any University. We like to make it clear that there is no USCIS criteria that requires a Phd for a green card. However, most Phds or postdoc (sometimes Phd students also) tend to satisfy the USCIS requirements of EB1A (extraordinary ability under employment based category 1) or EB2-NIW (national interest wavier under employment based category 2). This makes them eligible to self-petition for a green card without the need for an employer.
- There is no hard and fast rule as to when you can apply. The answer is whenever you think that you have a strong case to support an EB1A or EB2-NIW case. USCIS has a set of criteria for permanent residency petition in each of the employment based application categories. You can find these criteria else where on the website.
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages
2 Responses to Joining PhD and Green card question
- A friend of mine with masters in EE would like to self-petition
- I-140 Priority date not maintained from previous EB2 filing
- How do I pay application fee from Canada
- Packet for EB2-NIW Entrepreneurs
- Divorce - EB2 NIW Holder
- Research Scientist
- PhD in Physics from US, can I apply for a green card from abroad?
- I-140 NIW approved. Do i need to apply for an EAD?
- EB1A for a PhD student
- i140 petition and EAD