Joining PhD and Green card question
I am currently pursuing master in computer science and I will be graduating in December. I have few questions regarding green card which I can apply after PhD degree.
Question 1 . Is there any green card criteria that I have to do PhD from any specific university or can I do PhD from any university?
Question 2. When can I apply for green card? Do I need to apply after I complete my PhD degree or can I apply while I am doing my PhD degree?
I would appreciate any of your help
We suggest you read the following related post for more details. Your questions are answered below.
- No. You can have PhD from any University. We like to make it clear that there is no USCIS criteria that requires a Phd for a green card. However, most Phds or postdoc (sometimes Phd students also) tend to satisfy the USCIS requirements of EB1A (extraordinary ability under employment based category 1) or EB2-NIW (national interest wavier under employment based category 2). This makes them eligible to self-petition for a green card without the need for an employer.
- There is no hard and fast rule as to when you can apply. The answer is whenever you think that you have a strong case to support an EB1A or EB2-NIW case. USCIS has a set of criteria for permanent residency petition in each of the employment based application categories. You can find these criteria else where on the website.
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages
2 Responses to Joining PhD and Green card question
- Would you suggest Eb1A or NIW?
- M.F.A degree and Green card application
- Request for the Molecular biology material package
- I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status for Spouse
- Can someone please tell me what my chances are to file self EB-1A?
- What is photocopy certification? do I need one?
- How much evidence is enough
- General enquiry on Green Card application process
- Response period after completion of biometrics