I read with interest your online book but my situation was not addressed.
I have a J1 visa with a two years home restriction. I know I must have a waiver from my home government to apply for change of status. Do I require the waiver to apply for the EB2?
I plan to apply for a I-140 first and then I-485. My husband is on OPT now, and will be applying for H1 in April. If my I-140 is rejected, will this affect his visa status?
Thank you for your advice.
The short answer is no. It won’t affect his H1.
But there is one avoidable scenario that can be a problem. Before the I-140 is rejected, if you happen to start using EAD’s from I-485 application, then the rejection will result in both of you becoming out of status. Since you don’t intend to apply for I-485… Continue reading
I am a PhD candidate and will graduate sometime in Summer. I am planning to apply for NIW (self-petition) and I am wondering about the risks. In case my I-140 application is rejected can I renew my F-1 visa? can I apply for OPT? or should I wait till I graduate and then file I-140? Thanks.
Applying for I-140 implies an intent to immigrate. Therefore you have the risk of not being able to renew your I-20/F1. You can apply while on OPT. But again you cannot extent your OPT or F1 if needed.
Please see http://www.greencardpostdoc.info/tag/f1/Sincerely… Continue reading
- A request for information: PhD candidate in Media
- Postdoctoral researcher trying to decide EB2-NIW or EB1A.
- H1B extension and I-140 petition
- EB2 NIW or EB1A
- PhD students currently on F1 can apply for EB1A or EB2-NIW
- Is one example petition packet sufficient to prepare a petition
- eligible phd's for green card
- Packet for EB2-NIW Entrepreneurs
- PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering on STEM extension - Would like to apply for a green card in EB2 NIW category
- What is your suggestion on e-filing I-140?