I’m a postdoctoral associate for about 2 years and my contract is finishing in 6 months. I have J1 visa, which I applied from UK (My PhD is from UK), although I’m a Sri Lankan citizen. My DS2019 form say that I’m not subjected to 2 years requirement (also nothing mention about the two year requirement in my J1 visa page).
- According to my DS form my field code is 26.0210. According to the US.STATE.GOV site, for Sri Lankans, this sub-category is not subjected to two year requirement. But as my current work is funded by NIH, do I still need the waiver?
- I would like to file EB2-NIW petition, as my current job contract ending in 6 months. Do you think I have enough time to apply for I-140? Do I need to get the waiver first?
- If I didn’t apply for the waiver by the time i filed my I-140, can I transfer my J1 to another institution (My visa is ending in May 2018, but DS form is valid until 2020)?
- If i can’t transfer my J1, then can I apply for work authorization, so I can find another job (while my I-140 is processing)?
- Again do I need to get the waiver before applying for work authorization or can I do both together (If I didn’t apply for the waiver by the time I file my I-140)?
Could you please advise me on this.
Thank you very much,