PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering on STEM extension – Would like to apply for a green card in EB2 NIW category
I graduated with a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Kansas State University in Dec 2013. I started working as a Quality Assurance Engineer on contract at a financial technology start-up in March 2014 and moved to a full-time position as a Research Engineer at the same company in Oct 2014. However, my company does not sponsor employee green card. I have recently applied for a STEM extension which would give me an OPT extension up to June, 2016 (starting Jan 2015)
1. I have 5 published journal papers, including a Nature Scientific Reports article and 4 of them are first-author publications, 2 book chapters and 4 conference publications ( total of 76 citations, h-index of 5)
2. I have reviewed the work of others : I have been a reviewer for 13-15 papers (journal and conference – IEEE and non-IEEE)
3. I have record of professional service: I have been the graduate student representative for the Engineering Dean Search Committee at Kansas State University
4. My PhD research was based on algorithms and computational models for preventing cascading failures in power grid systems
5. I have won a research award for the university at the state level during my PhD
What, according to you, are my chances of getting through a green card application under the EB2 NIW category? Does it matter that it is almost a year since my graduation and the work that I do at my company is still based on algorithms and modeling but for a financial system? How long does it normally take to know whether the application has been approved or not?