Self-petitioning while on F1 visa
I am a PhD candidate and will graduate sometime in Summer. I am planning to apply for NIW (self-petition) and I am wondering about the risks. In case my I-140 application is rejected can I renew my F-1 visa? can I apply for OPT? or should I wait till I graduate and then file I-140? Thanks.
Applying for I-140 implies an intent to immigrate. Therefore you have the risk of not being able to renew your I-20/F1. You can apply while on OPT. But again you cannot extent your OPT or F1 if needed.
Please see http://www.greencardpostdoc.info/tag/f1/Sincerely
Green card for Phd Team
Helping NIW and EB1A applications
with our DIY packages
- What is photocopy certification? do I need one?
- Where should I send the EB-1 application package
- EB1A Journalism samples?
- Citations and Green card application
- Eligibility for EB1-a
- USCIS Updates Count of FY2010 H-1B Petition Filings
- I cannot decide the category that best fits my case (EB1A or NIW)
- NIW + F1 OPT/ STEM Returning to country of citizenship
- Visa Bulletin for December 2012