Green card for PhD / Postdoc Blog
Founders of this site obtained green cards in either EB1A or EB2 NIW (national interest waiver) by self-petitioning. This blog is to answer questions form researchers, PhDs, postdocs (postdoctoral researchers), and advanced degree holders related to green cards by self-petition. Self-petition applicants need to meet extraordinary ability (EB1A) or exceptional ability or advanced degree professional (EB2NIW) criteria. Our main website (greencardforphd.com) provides right information and do-it-yourself (DIY) packets in the self-petition process.
First I-140 approval
“I am currently a researcher working at a private company. I hold a PhD in Electrical Engineering, graduated in 2003. After my PhD I was a postdoc for four years at a National Lab and then moved to industrial position.
My interest in the immigration topic started when I was feeling highly constricted due to lack of mobility in my job and feeling stuck to an employer with no progress. If you are interested, you can read about my story on this web page. I researched about how a PhD can obtain a Green card and I applied for my permanent residency. My I-140 petition was approved in less than a month after application. After this, I have helped several of researchers in their green card application process. I started this blog and the website greencardforphd.com (which has complete set of example petitions at a nominal cost) to share this process.
Although I maintain this blog and the related website, information on these sites is distilled knowledge, accumulated since 2007, from the lessons learned by working with numerous I-140 applicants and from the feedback from many of these applications which used our original petitions as example. I would like to thank all of them.”
Answers to green card self-petition application questions
This blog has been in existence since 2009 with the main goal of answering self-petition questions. Below are some snippets from recent posts on this blog. You can explore more using the links on the side bar.
- Journal publications and green card application
- PhD in vision computing seeking to apply green card
- Can post-doc be considered permanent position
- Do I qualify for NIW?
- PhD student in agriculture science, can I apply now.
- Planning to do a Phd and apply for a Green Card
- Postdoc from Scotland interested in applying for green card
- Would you suggest Eb1A or NIW?
- Phd from non-US university and green card application
- M.F.A degree and Green card application
- EB1A eligibility?
- EB1A eligibility
- EB1 A as a PhD student
- EB1A for Unemployed Ph.D graduate
- Will my profile be eligible for EB1 category
- EB1A for a PhD student
- GREEN CARD WHILE VISA 01
- Applying for the green card under EB1-EA category while working under the OPT STEM extension.
- NIW for educators
- I am a PhD in H4 status and would like to apply in EB1A
- Currently on OPT/EAD, applying for EB2-NIW
- How do I pay application fee from Canada
- We want to apply green card through NIW and our j-visa is about to expire
- MBA trying to apply in EB2 NIW
- Can I apply in EB2-NIW with my credentials?
- Can I apply for EB2-NIW with a PhD in pure math?
- PhD student would like to apply in EB2 NIW
- Green card for student pursuing PhD in STEM field
- Can I apply for a green card in EB1A?
- Research in medical sciences and NIW