Green card for PhD / Postdoc Blog
Founders of this site obtained green cards in either EB1A or EB2 NIW (national interest waiver) by self-petitioning. This blog is to answer questions form researchers, PhDs, postdocs (postdoctoral researchers), and advanced degree holders related to green cards by self-petition. Self-petition applicants need to meet extraordinary ability (EB1A) or exceptional ability or advanced degree professional (EB2NIW) criteria. Our main website (greencardforphd.com) provides right information and do-it-yourself (DIY) packets in the self-petition process.
First I-140 approval
“I am currently a researcher working at a private company. I hold a PhD in Electrical Engineering, graduated in 2003. After my PhD I was a postdoc for four years at a National Lab and then moved to industrial position.
My interest in the immigration topic started when I was feeling highly constricted due to lack of mobility in my job and feeling stuck to an employer with no progress. If you are interested, you can read about my story on this web page. I researched about how a PhD can obtain a Green card and I applied for my permanent residency. My I-140 petition was approved in less than a month after application. After this, I have helped several of researchers in their green card application process. I started this blog and the website greencardforphd.com (which has complete set of example petitions at a nominal cost) to share this process.
Although I maintain this blog and the related website, information on these sites is distilled knowledge, accumulated since 2007, from the lessons learned by working with numerous I-140 applicants and from the feedback from many of these applications which used our original petitions as example. I would like to thank all of them.”
Answers to green card self-petition application questions
This blog has been in existence since 2009 with the main goal of answering self-petition questions. Below are some snippets from recent posts on this blog. You can explore more using the links on the side bar.
- Nepali Citizen planning to apply for a Green Card
- How many publications do i need to apply for a green card?
- Suitable category for a PhD from abroad.
- Self-petition with only few publications
- Journal publications and green card application
- PhD in vision computing seeking to apply green card
- Can post-doc be considered permanent position
- Do I qualify for NIW?
- PhD student in agriculture science, can I apply now.
- Planning to do a Phd and apply for a Green Card
- Ph.D. Student Applying for EB-1A
- Can someone please tell me what my chances are to file self EB-1A?
- Research Scientist
- My chances in obtaining EB 1
- Chances for EB1 outstanding researcher
- my chances in obtaining EB1A
- EB1A Approval Chances
- EB1a Chances
- eb1A package
- Applying for a Green Card while a phd student
- NIW EB2 greencard application
- EB2 NIW
- NIW Package
- EB-2 / NIW
- Request for the Molecular biology material package
- Is the packet updated after the recent change (Dhanasar)?
- Divorce - EB2 NIW Holder